We get you ready for LA Galaxy’s road trip to the City of Brotherly Love. It’s Philadelphia Union vs LA Galaxy!
I think we all were a little nervous this weekend in that five-minute span when the New England Revolution finally remembered how to play soccer. But thanks to a touch of class by Gerrard, and New England being forced to play with 10 men after an injury, all was right in the world. Next, it’s a quick turn around for the LA Galaxy as they head to Chester, PA to face the surprisingly good Philadelphia Union on Wednesday.
The Union had the weekend off but will be looking to bounce back following a disappointing 1-1 draw that saw them concede a late goal, despite San Jose going down a man in the second half. But there’s a lot for Union fans to be excited about as Chris Pontius scored again, and he and C.J. Sapong lead Philly with four goals each this season.
PHILADELPHIA UNION VS SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES
For the visiting good guys, keeping up the goals is on the agenda. 17 of L.A.’s 22 goals this season have come at home, so the Galaxy will be looking to finally bring those goals with them on the road. But with a healthy Keane and Gerrard most likely back in the starting lineup, and the return of Ashley Cole from his suspension, the G’s should be close to full strength.
Not many would have thought this matchup would have conference leading implications, but a win for either side could see the winner top of they’re respective conferences. Philadelphia have only conceded 8 goals but with Giovani dos Santos, Gyasi Zardes and Captain Robbie Keane firing on all cylinders, it should be business as usual as LA have beaten the Union 6 out of 8 times in MLS history. Kick off is at 4 PT and you can catch the game on MLS Live or TWCSN.
- 4PM PT Kickoff on Time Warner Cable SportsNet / Time Warner Cable Deportes
- LA Galaxy will wear their 1st kit, whites vs Philadelphia in their blues.
- Both teams are undefeated when leading at halftime or when scoring the first goal.
- The LA Galaxy have done 3 games and fought for a result in two other when conceding the first goal.
- Jelle Van Damme currently sits on 4 yellow cards. He will be suspended after receiving his next card.
- Van Damme will be playing in game no. 3 in his good behavior incentive.
- Van Damme will need to survive 5 games without a caution to have 1 yellow card rescinded.
- LA Galaxy are unbeaten in 7 games. Going 4-0-3 during that stretch.
- LA Galaxy will have 11 days off after this game. Their next game is May 22, 2016 vs San Jose
- Philadelphia Union are in 3rd place in the Eastern Conference and 10th place in the Supporters’ Shield
- LA Galaxy are 2nd place in both the Western Conference and the Supporters’ Shield
- LA have never lost at Talen Energy Stadium – formerly PPL Park (2-0-1)
- LA Galaxy have scored a total of 22 goals on the season. Given up 10 goals.
- LA’s +12 Goal Differential is tops in the league. Next closest is Colorado with a +5.